Home Blog An Introduction To Building Rules And Regulations In Kent

An Introduction To Building Rules And Regulations In Kent

Before you go ahead and try to build a better home for you and your family, you must consider if the building work you want carried out meets current building rules and regulations – otherwise you could land up in trouble.

Brick Porch

Much will depend on what building work you want done. If it does happen to fulfil building regulations, don’t automatically presume that this means you also have planning permission as building regulations and planning permission is not the same thing. You may need both.

To get definitive clarification of whether you need building regulations approval, you should speak to your Local Authority Building Control team. They can be located here.

In general, you will have to make a building regulations application for the following types of building work:

New buildings

  • All new buildings except agricultural buildings
  • Garages that are not fully detached and under 30 square metres


  • All extensions no matter how small
  • Some conservatories and porches (many are exempt but these must be separated from the house by doors and can’t be heated)
  • Roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • Basements and basement extensions


  • All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces    
  • All garage conversions
  • Barn conversions
  • Subdividing a house into flats
  •  Converting flats back into a house


  • Creating a ‘granny annex’
  • Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
  • Installing a new kitchen
  • Taking out a loadbearing wall    
  • Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing
  • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
  • Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower replacement window and door units
  • Installing roof lights
  • Making windows or doors wider or taller
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
  • Replacing your floor


You can complete and submit a building regulations application via the Building Control Planning Portal. The cost of applying is dependent on what the work encompasses and who your local authority is in Kent.

It normally takes around five weeks to two months to discover if your building regulations application has been successful. When you get the thumbs up to go ahead with the work, you have three years to make a start on the project. If you don’t do anything in that three-year period, you will have to submit a further application.


Eden Windows is fully aware of everything relating to building regulations and planning permission, so you don’t need to take care of these things on your own. Book an appointment to let us know what you want to accomplish.



Read what's going on at Eden

Get A Brand New Look This Season With A New Composite Door

It’s amazing how just the appearance of your front door can have such an enormous impact on the overall look of your home. Property experts…

Read more

Why Sell Your Home When You Can Extend It?

Moving house is extremely exciting, no question about that, but by all accounts, it’s also one of the most stressful experiences you will encounter in…

Read more

Eden Offer Free Planning Permission Advice For Conservatories & Orangeries

A high proportion of Kent householders don’t know the first thing about planning permission, and why would they? It’s not until they have their eyes…

Read more
Get a quote now! Request a brochure GET EXTRA £500 OFF

All content © Carbon Neutral Communities (t/a Eden Windows).